Sunday, April 15, 2012

Deer in the Headlights

Today is day five of my thirty day PETA challenge to go vegetarian. Here is what I have been cooking for my family:
April 11: Bean and Rice Bowls with avocado, cilantro, salsa, cheese, and sour cream (though no dairy for me!)
April 12: Brown Rice Tofu bowls with mixed veggies and broiled tofu (subbed tofu for the chicken in this recipe)
April 13: I went out of town, so they were on their own
April 14: Pasta with Marinara sauce
April 15: Vegetable Frittata (using what I have)

I heard the Hubs cooked a chicken and cheese dish while I was out of town, so that might be helpful to me in the long run. First, he had the choice to cook whatever he wanted so I don't really have any say in that, but secondly, they had a small "taste" of meat so they will take a bit longer to notice that I have not been cooking any meat-meals. And speaking of while I was out of town, my girlfriend made meat-free chili just because that's how she always makes it (score!). I made this awesome Mediterranean salad (subbed cubed tofu for the chicken and added garbanzo beans), and I was politely able to decline the ground-beef lasagna by excusing myself with the dairy-free situation. No conversation about it, and I escaped the weekend undetected.

Tonight I am cooking from the pantry, and the best I can whip up without going to the grocery store is frittata with red onion, yellow pepper, and asparagus. Not too shabby.

Today we went over to a birthday party for a neighbor. As we arrived, the host's mother-in-law showed us the buffet table and made a big announcement that THERE WAS NO MEAT IN ANY DISH except the one in the silver pot. Internally I whooped and hollered! It was fruit and veggie, and some dairy. Beans! Yum! Nothing fake or weird. But then she looked me square in the eye and (in front of my family!) asked me if I was vegetarian! I know I looked like a deer in headlights, but I swallowed and took a deep breath and managed to sputter "My family eats meat...." Oh, she said, I just wanted you to know that there is no meat in case you don't eat it. WHEW! I narrowly avoided that situation. I didn't want to lie, but I also didn't want to tell the truth about being secretly vegetarian. Apparently she is vegetarian, and her hubby is vegan, and it was funny that she had to ask me that question at that time. :)

This is my absolute favorite recipe for lunch right now, and every time we have leftover cooked pasta, I get to make it. YUM! I don't put the cheese on, sometimes add extra veggies, and ALWAYS use this dressing: Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette. It really does taste good on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment